Proxmox Changes

Removing subscription notice

sed -i.bak 's/NotFound/Active/g' /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2/ && systemctl restart pveproxy.service

Generating Let’s Encrypt certs

Supporting port 80 & 443

By default, proxmox looks for traffic only on port 8006. Based on my readings online, forcefully changing the port - which is now hardcoded - can cause a lot of problems. Instead, the most recent and successful recommendation has been to use nginx to redirect traffic on port 80 and 443 to port 8006. Below is the configuration created at /etc/nginx/conf.d/proxmox.conf after clearing the files /etc/nginx/conf.d/default and /etc/nginx/site-enabled/default.

upstream proxmox {
    server "";
server {
    listen 80 default_server;
    rewrite ^(.*) https://$host$1 permanent;
server {
    listen 443;
    server_name _;
    ssl on;
    #ssl_certificate /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.pem;
    ssl_certificate /etc/pve/local/pveproxy-ssl.pem;
    #ssl_certificate_key /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.key;
    ssl_certificate_key /etc/pve/local/pveproxy-ssl.key;
    proxy_redirect off;
    location / {
		proxy_http_version 1.1;
		proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;
		proxy_set_header Connection "upgrade"; 
		proxy_pass https://localhost:8006;
		proxy_buffering off;
		client_max_body_size 0;
		proxy_connect_timeout  3600s;
		proxy_read_timeout  3600s;
		proxy_send_timeout  3600s;
		send_timeout  3600s;

Set local root to full SSD and lvm-thin to extra HDD

My situation was that I had my SSD split into a root and data partition and had nothing on my HDD. To remedy this, I began by removing the unused data partition via:

lvremove /dev/pve/data

From there, I acquired a list of drives and available space:


I saw how much space was available on my primary SSD that I wanted to merge back into the root partition. In my case, 75.79g of space.

lvresize -L +75.79g /dev/pve/root

Finally, I resized the mapped partition:

resize2fs /dev/mapper/pve-root

After that had completed, I wanted to add my HDD as a thin LVM.

fdisk /dev/sda

Deleted all partitions via d and then wrote out the update via w.

From there, I used fdisk on the same disk again with n and primary partition 1, selecting the Linux LVM partition type. While most docs said it would be 8e, mine ended up being 31. I finalized the change via w.

After that, I created a physical volume via:

pvcreate /dev/sda1

And then proceeded to extend my extending volume group of pve via:

vgextend "pve" /dev/sda1

Once I had added the new drive to my pve volume group, I could allocate the rest of the available space to a thin LVM partition called data:

lvcreate -l 100%FREE -T -n data pve